Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Not So Fabulous Yoga Experience

So I recently went to yoga, bikram to be exact; you know that crazy hot yoga where it’s 105* at like a 100 million % humidity! I love going when I feel like I need a bit of a detox. You walk out completely soaked head to toe, but you feel refreshed…it cleanses you; well not all of you apparently… While I was there the other day I wasn’t feeling 100% and had to sit down a few times. It was rather crowded, too. Now I’ve been numerous times, but I guess I never stopped to notice ‘the feet!’ Now I have a bit of an issue with feet and cleanliness and let’s just say my not feeling so well was just intensified by what I saw…the dreaded ‘athlete’s foot’! YUCK! And not just on one person, but on almost every single person in the room. This wasn’t just a little bit of some dead icky skin, it was taking over every inch of their feet; all consuming, flesh eating, skin deteriorating, nasty fungus. By the end of the session I was so freaked out that I might catch it I ran, quite literally, to the store to buy some preventative spray so I WOULDN’T get it too! When I got home I decided to do a little bit of research. Not that I didn’t know what athlete’s foot was, but I just wanted to see what the internet had to say. Now I know Wikipedia is not a medical journal, by any means, but this is what it had to say, ‘Athlete’s foot, also known as ringworm of the foot, is caused by a fungi…..which is typically transmitted in moist areas where people walk barefoot....’ For those of you who aren’t familiar with this type of yoga, or any yoga for that matter, a requirement is that you must be barefoot and in this particular kind of yoga it is incredibly moist. At this point I don’t know if I can ever go back for my detox workout without the absolute fear that I might step in the wrong place and get it too. Ewwwww!
Oh, on top of the freak out with feet I noticed something rather peculiar; more like inappropriate. Although, it does get extremely hot and sweaty people still manage to wear clothing; most do anyway. While sitting down a guy in the class I do believe was wearing underwear…I mean ONLY his underwear! Now, I am glad that people chose to wear underwear, but no one needs to see it, not in public anyway…ever! To top that off, at the end of class when I was grabbing my bag a women walked out wearing only her underwear as well. Boyshorts and a basic bra, not a sports bra. I think we may have had the same boy shorts too, which I don’t think I can ever look at again. Listen people there is a reason why these garments are called ‘underwear’, because YOU WEAR THEM UNDER YOUR CLOTHING! For the sake of all mankind and other yoga participants, please cover up what is designed to be covered up. Thank you!  
*All the more reason to take care of my feet, so I can wear my cute new sandels that show them!
Shoes; Dolce Vita

No comments:

Post a Comment